Monday, October 20, 2014

Muslim Culture

I expected to learn about the Muslim culture, what separates their beliefs from other religious cultures, and some of the medicinal practices they believe in and perform. It's always nice to know the preferences of certain cultures.

I learned that the Muslim culture has many beliefs that are different from the culture I am surrounded by. I learned that family hierarchy and caring for one's parents is held in incredibly high regard. I also learned that female genital mutilation is still a fairly common practice, and is believed to bring complete fidelity of a woman to her husband. The women in the culture wear specific clothing to hide their beauty from the world, and save it only for their husbands. I learned that Muslim's tend to believe similar ideas regarding their health and accept healthcare when they have needs. This changes in reference to mental health, which is not considered a true illness, but rather a form of sin that needs religious correction.

I will take these aspects and implement them into my nursing career. Understanding a Muslim woman's religious duty, and preference to cover herself, could make a huge difference in care that I give. Understanding the need to care for one's parents and live to serve them would help me to understand children's role in their parent's care, or decision making.

This culture is interesting to read about. I have not come in contact with members of this culture, but there is great potential, so understanding some of the important aspects of their culture is important. I don't agree with female genital mutilation, and do not understand the concept behind it. I also don't understand the relationship with the parents, and why caring for them is held in such high regard. My lack of understanding, however, does not mean that I cannot be empathetic, or take time to understand those I care for, and their specific preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment