Sunday, October 26, 2014

Judaism

I expected to learn a few aspects about the culture of Judaism. I wanted to know what kind of practices they perform, how they perceive medical care, and other aspects that differ them from other religions.

I learned that Judaism may be considered both a religion and a nation. Up until the 19th century, most of the Jewish culture lived in the same region, shared the Hebrew language, and were self-governed. Now they are spread throughout the world, take on many different cultural practices based on the surrounding cultures, and follow separate governments. They still hold true the basic beliefs of the Torah, and speak in Hebrew with each other, but cultures may look very different for each region.

I will use this information in my career to understand the perception of healthcare. I believe that in this area they may consider healthcare highly, and be more likely to seek healthcare based on the culture surrounding. I will also use this information to respect cultural beliefs, preferences and laws in food preparation, and strive to meet the needs of each individual I care for.

As for personal feelings toward this religion, I don't have any particularly positive or negative feelings toward it. I don't know many people personally who practice the religion, but I do know the history, and suffering this population has endured. I have empathy for that, and I do not pass judgment for individual's religious choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment