Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hispanic/Latin Culture

Before researching this culture, I was hoping to learn about what makes the Hispanic culture different than other cultures. I was also hoping to learn about what makes up the Hispanic culture. I've always found some confusion in the term, and wondered if all Latin/Spanish country cultures are lumped into this term, or if there are differing terms for each. It seems to be an all encompassing term for every Spanish speaking country cultural lifestyle.

I learned that each individual identifies themselves differently. Many of the Hispanic culture identify themselves as "white" and consider their country of origin their heritage rather than their race. I also learned that there are specific holidays that each country celebrates, and some that are a commonality among different Hispanic cultures. I learned more of a definition of the difference between Latin and Hispanic. Latin refers to more of a region of people, whereas Hispanic refers to a common language population. The terms also carry a certain emotional connotation to those categorized in each, and each have the potential to offend.

I will utilize this information in my nursing practice to be more sensitive to those from other cultures, Hispanic, Latin or otherwise. I will do my best not to stereotype, and categorize someone based on where they are from. I will also allow for cultural and religious practices of those from Hispanic cultures to perform the practices they see fit to allow for holistic healing.

I do not understand all of the cultural beliefs and practices of this specific culture, but I can respect them for what others believe they are or have the capacity to do. I don't have to understand fully to know that a cultural practice is important to someone and they should be allowed to practice what they feel will help them. This can get tricky when such cultural practices become dangerous to individuals and others. But my basic rule of thumb, is to allow cultural practices as long as individuals and others are not in harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment