Monday, November 24, 2014

Asian Culture

I expected to learn more about different Asian cultures, and what differs them from each other. I also expected to learn a little bit about the perception of healthcare the Asian culture has and how it differs from the culture in the U.S.

I learned that Asian cultures most often use alternative methods of medicine and healing. A large focus on balancing chi and off-setting a "hot" or "cold" ailment is important. The Asian culture is more likely to use teas, oils, and ancestral rituals to bring wellness and health to the family. I learned that especially in the Chinese culture great importance is placed on ancestral glory, and that individuals are to bring honor to their family and ancestors to thank them for the gift of life. I learned that Asians are more likely to present a stoic behavior and not show a lot of expression in the face of trials and pain.

I will use this information in my nursing career to understand that patients I have that are from an Asian culture may be less likely to tell me when they are in pain, are likely to use fewer medications and may feel more comfortable using an alternative method of healing. I will respect these wishes and allow them to utilize them as much as possible, and do my best to explain the differences in western medicine and how it works.

I have always had a bit of a fascination with the Asian culture. I know the stereotypes, and some of them seem to be mostly true, while others are not. But I like the focus on the family, education, and living a life of honor. Those are all very good qualities to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment