Monday, November 10, 2014

Deaf Culture

I expected to learn some of the cultural norms that surround the deaf culture, such as language, social norms, and learn about any differences in perception of culture, health care, and societal status.

I learned that other than language, and eye contact, there are few differences among deaf individuals. Eye contact is important in ensuring contact has been made, and both parties are understanding one another. They are likely to follow along with the cultural norms of those they are surrounded by. The official language in English speaking countries is American Sign Language (ASL). This is widely utilized, along with lip reading. Many deaf individuals gradually incorporate the skill of lip reading into their language. This is one of the best ways to understand and communicate with others, especially those who do not know ASL. There are also schools and religious houses designed for the deaf. These foster a community for deaf individuals to come together, and share commonalities. A deaf individual does not have to attend a specific institution in order to get an education or religious experience. Schools around the nation have specific disability services for those who need translation, help writing notes, or transportation.

I have cared for a couple of patients so far that are deaf. Most of them were able to communicate with me, but required eye contact in order to facilitate understanding. The other person required an ASL translator. It is important to respect individuals with different needs. I will continue to utilize translation services, and do my best to allow individuals to express their feelings in their own language.

I have had some contact with and known a few individuals who are deaf. I do occasionally feel bad when I can't communicate with them because I don't know ASL. I've had to catch myself and become more aware of my own behavior in the past because I've spoken louder and slower thinking that would help. Now I will usually ask if I need to speak louder, or clarify if the person I'm communicating with doesn't understand me. I would like to learn the language. It seems very interesting, and could be incredibly helpful in nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment