Sunday, November 16, 2014

Native American Culture

I expected to learn about some of the cultural aspects that Native American's believe in, some of their health practices, and what sets their culture apart from others,

I learned that Native American's largely believe in a Great Spirit, Mother Earth, Father Sky, and other spiritual beings. This culture believes that everything is interconnected, and that every resource should be appreciated and used to its fullest without waste. I learned that identifying spiritual beliefs, weaknesses, and misunderstandings is a main approach to mental illness. I learned that currently the Native American culture is lacking in healthcare resources, have higher rates of disease, and are separate from other citizens in the way their healthcare is managed. This was frustrating to learn, and something that should be better managed. These people deserve just as much access and knowledge of healthcare issues as the rest of the citizens.

I will use this information to understand the perceptions this culture has on healthcare. I can only imagine that healthcare as a whole is a sensitive subject, and one that may bring great debate. I will use this information to understand that any patients I may have that come from a Native American heritage may have higher rates of disease, poorly managed disease, or specific spiritual beliefs of healing.

I have an interest in the cultural beliefs of Native Americans. I really like the spirituality they believe in and the beliefs they carry regarding utilizing resources. I think this is a culture with rich history that deserves attention, and a culture that is perhaps often forgotten, and lacking in resources for healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment